Since the huge success of Double Fine's Kickstarter for a new adventure game, other companies are trying to get their franchises up and running with the help of some loyal fans. A new Kickstarter page has started up by the creator of Shadowrun, Jordan Weisman, and his studio, Harebrained Schemes. The game he's looking to make is Shadowrun Returns , a graphically rich 2D turn-based single player game with deep story interaction, meaningful character development, and highly-contextual tactical combat that will be released for mobile tablets and PC. The goal is to reach $400,000 by April 29th, but at the time of the writing this article, the amount accumulated was $299,251.
Here's a video that gives a brief overview of this project:
As of a fan of the console Shadowrun games, I'm definitely getting behind his project.
Source: Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Page
Update: Update: Well that didn't take long. In fact, it took only 28 hours for Shadow Returns to be fully funded. Currently, the project is sitting at $601,871. Due to the extra funding, Harebrained Schemes is going to be adding a few extras to the game:
- Mac version – available for everyone and also included at the $15 backer level (We can’t change what the description says but it’s true!)
- Additional languages: German, French, and Spanish
- And . . . RIGGERS!
Harebrained Schemes has also announced that if they reach $1 million, they'll add even more to the game:
- A second city to explore. Which city? Well, that will be for Backers to decide! We’ll create a list of cool places for you to vote on. More on that later!
- A more powerful and more accessible (less ugly) mission editor, so more people can tell deeper stories in the world of Shadowrun.
- A musical score that resonates like the SNES and Genesis soundtracks did in the Long-Ago.
Here's the latest update video: