Last week, before all the Double Fine Kickstarter craziness, Tim Schafer was interviewed about the possibility of making Psychonauts 2. Schafer stated no publisher was interested in making the game. Then came the man behind Minecraft, Notch, who stated on twitter that he wants to make it happen. Today a new piece of info regarding the project appeared that Schafer told Notch that Psychonauts 2 would cost around $13 million, the budget of the first game, which apparently Notch said “Yeah, I can do that.” With all the hype regarding this, Notch turned to his blog to clear a few things up:
Here are the facts of what’s happening now, from my perspective:
* Tim and I haven’t spoken much at all other than a couple of emails.
* We mentioned meeting at GDC, I hope that will happen
* I assume Double Fine will be very busy for many months with the kickstarter project
* The budget for doing a Psychonauts 2 is three times higher than my initial impression
* A couple of other parties have mentioned also being interested in investing in it
* I would not be investing in this as a charity. It would be because I think the game would be profitable
* And naturally, I wouldn’t want to have any creative input in the game. It would be purely a high risk investment in a project I believe in.
What seemed to be a for sure deal, now seems to be a business matter between two developers with a wait and see approach. Of course we’d all love to see it happen, but video games are a business so many things have to be considered.