Nintendo’s first direct of 2015 was a big one, with announcements that both casual and hardcore gamers alike will enjoy. Here’s a quick rundown in case you missed it.
The Big Hits
Nintendo revealed a new Fire Emblem game for the 3DS, with characters designed by series vet Kozaki Yusuke but with a new design team otherwise. The game will feature an even greater emphasis on decision-making than ever before, as well as the Pair Up battle mechanic introduced in Fire Emblem Awakening.
Bandai Namco is working on the still-secretive Project Treasure, a free-to-play Wii U multiplayer game with a focus on exploring dungeons to collect treasure and defeat enemies. Etrian Mystery Dungeon is slated to release in Spring 2015. The game is a crossover of two acclaimed dungeon crawling series, and will feature Etrian Odyssey's team building features and Mystery Dungeon's dungeon exploration features.
Mario Party 10 for Wii U will feature three different gameplay modes (Mario Party, Bowser Party, and Amiibo Party) and will release alongside Super Mario series amiibo on March 20. This amiibo set will include Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, and Toad. Speaking of amiibo, the amiibo series 2 figurines will be available in February. This wave includes King DeDeDe, Rosalina, Bowser, Sonic, Mega Man, Toon Link, Sheik, Ike, Shulk, Lucario, and Meta Knight. Amiibo series 3 figurines will be available in Spring 2015. This wave will include Robin, Lucina, Pac-Man, Ness, and Charizard.
A new 3DS will be available in North America on Feb. 13. It features four shoulder buttons, a new C-stick to complement the analog stick, a larger top screen, face tracking 3D, built-in amiibo and NFC support, an enhanced browser and faster downloads, as well as more processing power. The handheld will also feature a longer battery life, a screen that automatically changes brightness, and microSD support. The New 3DS XL will play all 3DS games and will feature games exclusive to the handheld.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D will release on Feb. 13. Gamers who pre-order Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. at GameStop will receive a Majora's Mask pin for some reason. The game will launch alongside the limited edition Majora's Mask New 3DS XL.
And the Rest
- Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition will release in one package for the 3DS in May 2015.
- A successor to Pokémon Trozei, Pokémon Shuffle, will release through the 3DS eShop in February.
- Wii games will be released as Wii U compatible downloads. Super Mario Galaxy will be available January 14; Punch-Out!! will be available Jan. 22; Metroid Prime Trilogy will be available Jan. 29, and all three will be half-price for one week upon release.
- Kirby & The Rainbow Curse features figure collection and will be compatible with Kirby-series Amiibo figurines for temporary power-ups.
- Tingle and Young Link will be available as DLC for Hyrule Warriors on February 5. The Majora's Mask Pack includes Tingle, Young Link, a new adventure map, and three brand new player costumes.
- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker will be compatible with Mario series amiibo for a pixel Toad hunting minigame.
- Splatoon will feature a massive hub location filled with Inklings gathered through Miiverse, as well as buildings which lead to different game modes and shops.
- A new preview trailer was shown for Xenoblade Chronicles X, showing off more of the game's world and the incredibly varied landscapes found within.
- Mario Vs. Donkey Kong Tipping Stars will release on the Nintendo eShop for Wii U and 3DS on March 5. It features a level creator and level sharing, and gamers who purchase the Wii U edition will get a free download code the 3DS version.
- Retro-pixel platformer Elliot Quest and abstract meditative art game Blek were announced for Wii U.
- More gameplay for the quirky RPG Citizens of Earth was shown. Citizens of Earth will be available for Wii U and 3DS on January 20.
- Gunman Clive 2 will feature 4 unique playable characters and more classic Gunman Clive gameplay.
- Moon Chronicles episodes 2, 3, and 4 will be released in one day sometime in January 2015. The episodes can be purchased individually or together as a discounted season pack.
- SEGA 3D classics will be coming to 3DS. Games include 3D After Burner II, 3D Fantasy Zone, 3D OutRun, 3D Fantasy Zone II, and 3D Thunder Blade. The games will be released from January to March.
- 3DS farm sim Story of Seasons will feature a safari area where they can acquire exotic animals and the ability to connect to other players online and explore their game worlds.
- Fossil Fighters Frontier for 3DS will feature online play and the ability to team up with players to explore, dig for fossils, and battle wild vivosaurs. Players can also try out their skills in the new tournament arena. Fossil Fighters Frontier will be released March 20.
- Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. will feature amiibo compatibility, as well as the ability to use Fire Emblem characters Marth, Ike, Robin, and Lucina by scanning their amiibo figures.
- Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy+ will be available for 3DS on Feb. 13. The game will feature custom planes unlocked by scanning amiibo figures that are based on the amiibo figure that you scan.
- Third person shooter IronFall Invasion was announced. It runs at 60 FPS and will have enhanced gameplay when played on a New 3DS. IronFall will be available in February 2015 through the 3DS eShop.
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate will be featured as a limited edition 3DS design for sale exclusively through GameStop. The game will feature full online and local gameplay as well as two new weapon classes. The game will also receive an exclusive demo with complete online functionality.
You can watch the Nintendo Direct in its entirety on the Nintendo YouTube channel or below.