On Saturday morning, GamesRadar uploaded the CGI preview trailer for the newest Assassin's Creed game and we got it up before Ubisoft shutdown the video all over the Internet. Even before that, Kotaku was sent pictures of promotional posters and maps revealing that Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag would take place before AC3's Connor, in 1716 throughout the Caribbean Islands.
Before Assassin's Creed: Revelations released in November of 2011, Ubisoft had developers start mapping out Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag with potential gameplay mechanics back in the summer of 2011. Developers will be using what Assassin's Creed III used for their game engine, which is known as AnvilNext. The most important thing that has been speculated since last week is what is the main character's name and what is his connection to the modern day through the Animus. While attempting to avoid spoilers, Assassin's Creed III ends in a very difficult situation leading fans of the series to believe there wouldn't possibly be a chance of a new game.
Too bad because Assassin's Creed is back and Ubisoft is putting all their chips in on this game. The main character's name is Edward Kenway who is the grandfather to Assassin's Creed III's Connor. While most assassins through the franchise has had a selfless nature to them and to the order, pirates are known to be very selfish as they rob and pillage lands for personal profits. Since Edward was raised without much guidance, he seems to seek himself only for fortitude and wisdom.
Prefacing the image that you see above, Ubisoft has expressed the need for gamers to know that the game won't be spent mostly on open waters but instead breaking up the game into 40 percent of the time to being off-land while the other 60 percent you'll be on land, assassinating and gallivanting through cities like Havana, Nassau or Kingston. Havana is supposed to be similar to AC2's Venice as a busy metropolis as well has having a vertical spectrum that most of the 'New World' doesn't feature yet. Kingston is to be a well protected British city as Nassau will be a place of comfort to Edward as it's to be the home of what is called the 'Republic of Pirates'. Ubisoft has confirmed to CVG that multiplayer modes will not feature naval battles. With all of the studios working on the game though, this could change eventually.
Earlier today, VideoGamer reported from an Ubisoft Q/A that the game is currently being worked on by multiple studios. Jean Guesdon, creative director, explained which studios would be working together. While Ubisoft Montreal is heading the project, the Singapore, Sofia and Quebec studios are solely working on the single-player as Ubisoft's Annecy & Bucharest studios will work on the multiplayer portions. Additionally, Ubisoft Kiev and Ubisoft Montpelier will be working on the game making the studio total 8 different studios working on the game. This is the first time a publisher has used more than three studios to release and support a game before it's launch date.
In the Black Flag trailer that we previously posted, the infamous real-life pirate Black Beard was boasting in maybe a fearsome fashion about Edward Kenway. Whether Black Beard will play as a villain or support character like da Vinci in Revelations, we don't know but we are looking forward to his involvement.
Earlier in the article, I mentioned a potential connection to the modern day with the Animus. Through multiple sources, Ubisoft has confirmed that there won't be a current day protagonist instead that character will be you, the gamer. How Ubisoft will use that in a narrative way is completely uncertain as we've only begun to dive into what information is going to be available for the game.
As the game will be released on October 29th in North America, our friends across the pond will be getting it three days later on the 1st of November. The game will be releasing for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U and PC. There is no official release date for the PlayStation 4 version as we don't even know exactly when the console will be released other than Holiday 2013.